What is Respite Care? Respite care is the provision of short-term or temporary relief to those who are caring for family members or loved ones who might otherwise require permanent placement in a facility outside of their home.
Respite care gives the primary caregiver a break. Juggling work, family and caring for a loved one is a delicate balancing act. Caregiver stress and burnout are realities that can negatively impact all areas of your life. If you don’t take care of yourself, you can’t take care of anyone else!
Signs of caregiver burnout
- Trouble concentrating
- Lack of interest and social withdrawal from friends and activities that once brought pleasure
- Emotional and physical exhaustion
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Changes in weight and eating habits
- Getting sick more often
- Increased use of alcohol or medication to relax
The benefits of respite care
- Peace of mind. Knowing your loved one is being taken care of to the highest level gives you a chance to relax, unwind, even pursue new interests or take a family vacation!
- Allows you to spend more time with your family
- Improves your ability to cope with daily stress
- Strengthens the family’s ability to care for their loved one at home
Respite care has great benefits to the recipient.
- Reduced stress as daily routines are preserved
- Ability to stay at home, in familiar surroundings
- New social connections and interactions
- Peace of mind knowing that their caregiver is taking some time for themselves
Respite care should be a positive experience for both the caregiver and the person needing the care and provide a positive and meaningful experience for all.
CalaCare provides seamless, personalized respite care services. Each Respite Care client receives a tailored and customized care plan to ensure continuity of care and familiarity of routine. We will be there when you can’t be! Contact us at 905-296-5052 or 1-888-774-CALA (2252) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org