Elder abuse is such a difficult subject to talk about. However, it is an important topic that needs discussion and awareness so you can protect yourself and those you love.
June 15 is National Elder Abuse Awareness Day.
Seniors are the fastest growing population in Canada. In 2011, 5 million Canadians were 65 years of ago or older, a number that is expected to double in the next 25 years to reach 10.4 million by 2036.
There are currently 2 million seniors aged 65 and over. Studies have shown there are between 40,000 and 200,000 seniors living in Ontario who have experienced or are experiencing elder abuse.
There is limited data in Canada about elder abuse, but studies estimate 2-10% of seniors are likely to experience abuse. Many cases go unreported.
Elder abuse typically comes in the forms of physical, emotional, neglect and financial abuse.
- Unexplained injuries such as fractures, cuts, bruises and sores.
- Discrepancies between the injury and the explanation of the injury
- Under or over medicating
- Inappropriate physical or chemical restraints.
- Usually shows in unexplained changes in behavior such as low self-esteem, depression, anxiety and social withdrawal.
- Types of emotional abuse can include: social isolation, verbal abuse, intimidation, threats and harassment.
- Can be in the form of poor hygiene, unkempt appearance
- Lack of appropriate clothing
- Missing or lost personal medical devices such as hearing aids, dentures or glasses
- Hazardous or unsafe living conditions.
- Misuse of checks, credit cards and bank accounts.
- Identity theft
- Stealing cash, checks or household items
- The victim may be unable to afford amenities they normally would be able to.
- The victim may be pressured to make changes to a will, Power of Attorney or sign legal documents
At CalaCare, our caregivers are trained to notice the signs of abuse or neglect of the seniors in our care. We provide a wide variety of services including nursing care, home support, palliative care and 24-hour care. Contact us today to discuss your individual needs. We give you the peace of mind knowing your loved one is receiving exceptional care by our extraordinary team of professionals.